About the Committee
The Library/Community Center Feasibility Study Committee is responsible for the conceptual design of a building to provide space for a variety of current and foreseeable library, community and civic activities and uses. The Library/Community Center shall plan for the use of the Howard School site, as recommended in the Facilities and Public Services portion of the Town of Acushnet’s Comprehensive Master Plan.
The work of the Committee shall be divided into two specific phases:
• Phase I: Needs Assessment and Revision of Program
• Phase II: Conceptual Design and Recommendations
The Library/Community Center Feasibility Study Committee, shall address the following critical issues during Phase I:
• A list of uses, a space program, and the overall size for the Library/Community Center, making full use of the information contained the Library’s Long Range Plan, (Community Center docs) and the Town of Acushnet’s Comprehensive Master Plan.
• The desirability and financial implications of renovation of all or portions of the existing building as well as any new construction.
• The desirability and feasibility of major fund raising programs to secure private funds for major components or spaces in the Library/Community Center.
The primary emphasis in Phase II shall be on the following activities:
• The initial design of the Library/Community Center including the development of plans, renderings, and cost estimates sufficiently detailed to enable a Town Meeting vote on a project to complete its design and construction.
• The identification and evaluation of alternative and innovative design and construction processes, including LEED certification for the project.
• The development of a public/private financing plan (if such is found to be desirable and feasible).
The Committee, at the conclusion of Phase I, shall meet with the Board of Selectmen, the Library Board of Trustees and the Board of Acushnet Community Services, Inc. to discuss a project brief as well as issue a written report containing its recommendations regarding the critical issues considered.
The Library/Community Center Feasibility Study Committee shall recommend to the Library Board of Trustees a scope of work and selection procedures for the hiring of an owner’s project manager and architect to assist in the architectural aspects of Phase II.
The Committee, at the conclusion of Phase II, shall meet with the Board of Selectmen, the Library Board of Trustees and the Board of Acushnet Community Services, Inc. to discuss a project brief as well as issue a written report containing the initial design for the Library/Community Center, the financing plan and the recommended implementation plan for final design and construction.
While the Library/Community Center Feasibility Study Committee is hopeful that the Committee can complete Phases I and II in time for the Spring 2010 Town Meeting, our primary concern is to ensure thorough and thoughtful deliberation concerning a facility that will serve the Town of Acushnet for the 21st Century.
Kristen Leotti, Chair
Chair, Library Board of Trustees
Co-Director, Acushnet Community Center Board
Library Board of Trustees
President, Friends of the Library
Old Colony High School CAD instructor
Director, Russell Memorial Library
Special Projects Manager, Town of Acushnet
Building Inspector, Town of Acushnet
* ex officio