DEDHAM PUBLIC LIBRARY – LIBRARY DIRECTOR
The Library Director serves as administrator of the town’s public library system. S/he is responsible for the implementation of library policies established by the Trustees and for leadership to improve public library services to the community. The Director performs
managerial duties related to budget, collection development, building maintenance, library services, programming and personnel (including assisting the Town Manager and Human Resources Director in collective bargaining and grievance resolution).
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various type of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
1. Leads the operation of the public library, to provide prompt, courteous customer service to patrons. Monitors all operations and delegates as needed. Handles complaints in accordance with policy.
2. Organizes, trains, assigns and evaluates personnel. Develops and trains staff for progressively more responsible experience. Plans continuing education for staff and Trustees. Maintains professional, respectful, and collaborative relationships with employees. Monitors trends in salaries and working conditions and suggests changes when appropriate.
3. Stays current with developments in the library field. Studies community and national trends, and evaluates their relation to the library. Recommends plans for library growth that include measurable goals and objectives.
4. Advises, consults, and confers with Trustees, other library professionals, government officials, citizens and community groups regarding library services and
5. Reviews usage data and input from library patrons to evaluate the library’s collections, programs, and technological applications, and to allocate the budget and other resources accordingly.
6. Collaborates with local schools and community groups to better serve residents.
7. Keeps Trustees informed and recommends policies for the Trustees’ consideration. Provides documentation when appropriate. Administers policies and maintains
policy handbook; interprets policies to staff and public.
8. Provides an orientation for newly elected or appointed Trustees.
9. Prepares all needed library reports for local government, the MBLC, and other professional organizations. Helps prepare and present the library’s annual operating
budget to the Town Manager, Finance and Warrant Committee, and Town Meeting.
10. Actively seeks grants and prepares grant applications. Seeks gifts and other new sources of nontax funding in support of library services and programs.
Acknowledges gifts of money and library materials.
11. Oversees the repair, maintenance, and operation of the library’s physical plant, including surrounding grounds.
12. Markets and promotes the library through various media including newspapers, online sources, social media, and public speaking.
13. Supports efforts of the Friends of the Library, Dedham Library Innovation Team, and other community organizations in their support of library services and
14. Remains familiar with all local, state, and federal laws and regulations that affect public libraries. Maintains accreditation standards set by the Massachusetts Board
of Library Commissioners, to the best of his/her ability.
Qualifications: three years of progressively responsible experience in a public library including at least one year in a supervisory capacity, preferably in a union environment; a documented history of accomplishment; experience developing and managing a budget; or an equivalent combination of education and experience upon approval of the Board of Trustees.
Education Required: Must have a Master’s Degree in Library Science from an accredited ALA certified institution
Salary: $75,750 $113,600, depending on experience and qualifications
Closing Date: June 1, 2016
Send cover letter and resume to: Miriam Johnson, HR Director, Town of Dedham, Dedham, MA 02026
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org