New Bedford Main Library
Manages the overall service plan and daily operation of a branch library, including staff management, collection
development and maintenance, services and programs, customer and community relations, outreach, developing
partnerships and overseeing the general maintenance and security of the library building and grounds.
• Oversees the operation of the branch library; supervises trains, evaluates, schedules and participates in
selection of branch staff.
• Plans and implements library programs for all ages including story hours, after-school activities, educational
workshops, reading groups, and technology literacy classes.
• Provides reference and reader advisory services to library users of all ages with print and electronic
• Performs community outreach services through presentations at schools, local events and organizations;
prepares publicity materials to highlight branch events to promote use of branch library.
• Develops branch library collections; reviews sources for ordering of print and non-print materials, catalogs
new and donated materials; manages branch budget for materials and supplies; maintains collection through
• Analyzes circulation rates and patron requests to prepare current collections and respond to local needs;
prepares displays of library materials.
• Writes monthly statistical and narrative reports on branch services and circulation; collects, writes up and
deposits monies received by the branch to City Treasurer’s Office; prepares additional reports as required by
the Library Director.
• Monitors branch facility maintenance needs; requests services as required; handles maintenance concerns as
they arise to ensure proper cleaning and maintenance of the building and grounds; responsible for opening
and closing of the branch.
• Collaborates with the Library Director on grants development, grant writing and related activities.
• Is thoroughly familiar with the library’s vision, mission and strategic plan, and serves in an active capacity
to assist the library in achieving its goals; collaborates with other managers as needed, with the clear
understanding that all library departments work together as multiple parts of one unit.
• Performs special projects and related responsibilities as required and assigned.
• Master’s Degree in Library Science.
• Two years of relevant experience working in a library or a related library field.
• Any equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Spanish speaking preferred
Education Required: MLS/Masters
Salary: $59,841 - $74,809
Closing Date: February 29, 2020
Applications must be submitted on an official City of New Bedford form. Applications are available in PDF format with fill in and print capabilities or application may be obtained from the Department of Personnel (https://www.newbedford-ma.gov/personnel/employment/employment-opportunities/.
All applications must be completed in full, signed and returned to the Personnel Department, City Hall, Room 212, 133 William Street, New Bedford, MA, telephone (508) 979-1444. Resumes and cover letters may be furnished for additional information. Incomplete applications will be cause for rejection.
The City of New Bedford has a residency requirement. Employees are required to be residents of the City of New Bedford at the time of appointment, unless a specific waiver has been granted by the City Council with approval of the Mayor. Applicants are required to pass a pre-employment physical examination administered by a physician appointed by the City of New Bedford. Please send all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send all applications to email@example.com