Today we are working to turn on a new feature in Enterprise. It gives an extra way to view what material formats are available on a title. Here is a pdf explaining what to expect. This is available only in Enterprise, not on the app or in the mobile version. This is something that's been requested and we'll certainly update if it becomes available.
As the COVID-19 situation continues to evolve, the libraries in the SAILS network want to let you know the measures we are taking to provide service to our patrons and students during this period. Our libraries are committed to delivering essential services while also protecting the health and safety of staff and all of our users.
The below information has been updated as of 1/23/2021.
Please see our COVID-19 Reopenings list to see which libraries are offering curbside and no-contact pickup services and which are providing in-person service. Please contact your library directly to find out what services they are offering.
Your library checkouts
Because libraries are quarantining materials after they are returned, there will be a delay in checking those items in. They may be listed on your account for several days after you return them. You may also receive overdue or auto-renewal notices for items that have been returned, but have not yet completed quarantine. The COVID-19 Reopenings list also lists the quarantine periods for our libraries. If checked-out material is still listed on your account a week after returning items, please contact your library.
Consult our COVID-19 Reopenings list to see which libraries are currently accepting returns. In some cases, libraries may only accept returns at specific hours or through the bookdrop. Please contact your library for further details.
Most public libraries are using standard due dates for materials again. Please contact your library with any questions about due date. You can find due dates for materials checked out on your card by logging into your account.
The statewide delivery system that transports materials among our libraries has resumed service for most SAILS public libraries, but some are still unable to accept delivery. Please be patient while the delivery system catches up on the backlog of holds.
Most, but not all, holds that were suspended during the pandemic have been unsuspended. All holds for public library patrons suspended by the network were unsuspended as of August 31.
Please understand that, with quarantine periods for materials, holds are not filling as quickly as usual. We thank you for your patience as we go through this process.
All of our libraries provide access to online materials. E-books, audiobooks, and e-magazines are available through the SAILS Overdrive collection. We recommend using the Libby app to access these resources.
Your library may also have online collections available. Be sure to visit their web sites to see what else may be available to use while you’re at home.
For people who do not yet have a library card, you can easily sign up for a card by filling out the form at https://www.sailsinc.org/my-account/get-a-library-card/. During the COVID-19 epidemic, this card will be good for two months before you need to visit a library to upgrade it to a permanent card.
If you are unable to access resources due to an expired card, please contact your library to see if it can be extended.
Contact your library if you have further questions.
Dear patrons, As you know, most public spaces are needing to close their doors to protect the most at risk in our communities. People working in our libraries want to be able to help and give and the best way to do that in this case, is to stop for a bit. We have several libraries closed for the coming days. Here is a list and it will continue to be updated as needed.in this case, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18e0DczuQP4-lN8nvJER-mdvWyJN5zLnPiC4V44d3goI/edit?usp=sharing
However, on a happier note, we do have tons of titles you can get online with your library card! You can get to the digital titles from Enterprise, our online catalog. Log in with you barcode and see what your library has to offer. It's a lot! Pick your library at the top of this page and download right from the catalog.
When a hold becomes available for you, you'll receive an email and a notification in your library's OverDrive collection. You have three days to borrow the hold or have it delivered later if you're not ready to read it.
Delivering a hold later means you stay at the front of the wait list, but pass the current copy to the next person in line.
Find details at: https://help.overdrive.com/en-us/2265.htm
Please search the SAILS Enterprise catalog first. If the material you want is not available in the catalog, please log in below to use the Commonwealth Catalog. For additional assistance, please contact your local library.
Login to the Commonwealth Catalog
Current participants include:
- Bridgewater State University
- CLAMS, Cape Libraries Automated Materials Sharing
- C/W MARS, Central/Western Massachusetts Automated Resource Sharing
- FLO, Fenway Library Organization*
- HELM, High Education Libraries of Massachusetts
- MassCat Massachusetts Library System
- MBLN, Metro Boston Library Network (including the Boston Public Library)
- MLN, Minuteman Library Network
- MVLC, Merrimack Valley Library Consortium
- NOBLE, North of Boston Library Exchange
- OCLN, Old Colony Library Network
- University of Massachusetts, Amherst*
- University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth*
* These libraries/library networks are currently unable to support borrowing and lending via the Commonwealth Catalog. They will resume services in the near future.
Funding for the Commonwealth Catalog provided by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners and the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
How do I use the Enterprise library catalog to check out eBooks or eAudiobooks?
**Note – to directly check out titles from the catalog, you must be logged into the Enterprise catalog with your library card number. Your ALT ID will not work.
- Find the title you’re looking for in the catalog.
- Make sure you’ve picked the format you want ( eBook or eAudiobook)
- Find the vendor (OverDrive or Hoopla). Have you borrowed from that vendor before?
- Yes, I have borrowed from that vendor before:
- Click the Checkout button and enter your library card number and PIN.
- Choose the Checkout Option that works with your device. Not sure? Choose HTML (eBooks) or OverDrive Listen (OverDrive eAudiobooks) to keep your options open.
- To read the book, download the checkout in your app (if you are using an app), or read the title in your browser through the vendor’s site.
- No, I have never borrowed from that vendor before:
- Yes, I have borrowed from that vendor before:
We’re here to help! If you would like additional assistance, please contact your library, or try these FAQs:
More Answers To Questions About Our Downloadable Book Collection – SAILS Overdrive FAQ
- Why do I have to wait so long for eBooks and eAudiobooks?
- I updated my library card - your activity will automatically be moved to your new library card.
- How to check out titles from the Massachusetts Partner Library Networks (see below)
- How to check out titles from the SAILS Enterprise online catalog.
What is the difference between the OverDrive and Libby apps?
Get the SAILS Mobile app in the Google Play and Apple stores!
- Search the SAILS’ catalog: Search for items by title, author, subject, or general keyword and place holds on interesting items.
- Manage your account: Keep track of your account – view your checked-out items, holds, fines, and account information.
- Pay fines online with a credit card.
- Search by barcode: Use your device’s camera to scan the barcode on a book, CD, DVD, or other item at a friend’s house or bookstore and search for available copies in the SAILS’ Network.
- You can link accounts to manage your family’s checkouts and holds, all in the same place.
Overdrive – SAILS Digital Library
Libby is the recommended app for our Overdrive titles.
The older Overdrive app still works…
Get our downloadable books (MP3 & EPUB) directly to your mobile device.
- Audiobook sleep timer: Set the timer and your book shuts off when you do.
- Sepia eBook display: Enjoy easy-on-the-eyes reading that looks just like a paper book.
- eBook orientation lock: Enable this setting, and you can rock without the roll!
- Return eBooks right after reading so you can dive into the next one.
The SAILS online catalog, Enterprise, is a mobile-friendly site.
Library Card Management Apps
With the new SAILS Mobile App, you no longer need to use another app to manage your library card. However, if you already use the following apps, they do work with the SAILS cards.
CardStar: “Go Cardless with CardStar™ from Constant Contact. Fast, easy & secure! LIGHTEN YOUR WALLET and move your plastic loyalty cards, reward cards and membership cards to your phone so you never miss out on a reward, discount, or deal again.” Download for Android or Download for iPhone
Key Ring: “Never carry loyalty, membership, or library cards again! Key Ring is the app for loyalty cards and savings while shopping. Plan, save, and organize by carrying your cards, stores’ weekly ads, coupons, and your shopping lists – all in one app.” Download for Android or Download for iPhone
Do you know as a patron of a SAILS member library, you have access to the terrific reader's advisory tool, Novelist? Since we have NovelistPlus, content spans all ages! The subscription started on July 1st and in the Enterprise catalog, you can go to the item details page and view the added content from Novelist. You can also go direct to Novelist. We currently have a page on the SAILS website you can log in after selecting your library. Here is the page: http://wp.me/P6JtVr-2iQ. There is also a powerpoint tutorial showing available features.