Part Time LIBRARY ASSISTANT I – LIBRARY AND LEARNING COMMONS
POSITION TITLE: Library Assistant I – Library and Learning Commons (part-time)
DEPARTMENT: Library and Learning Commons (LLC), Fall River Campus
REPORTS TO: Associate Dean, Library and Learning Commons
STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
The Library Assistant I works in the Library and Learning Commons at the Fall River Campus, and on occasion may be asked to assist with coverage on other campuses. The basic purpose of this work is to aid in the maintenance, preparation, distribution, and lending of library books and other materials at a state institution of higher education; as well as to assist students and patrons seeking services such as tutoring, research assistance, and directional assistance, in addition to other duties.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS, DUTIES, AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Performs LLC service desk procedures, such as checking in and checking out materials, registering patrons, assisting with tutoring appointments, and collecting fines.
* Aid patrons in locating and using materials.
* Monitor the borrowing of materials.
* Verify the proper location of books and materials.
* Aid patrons by responding to inquiries and providing information concerning materials that best match users’ interests and needs, LLC rules and procedures, and LLC facilities; suggest and explain the proper methods of locating and using materials to facilitate patrons’ use of the LLC.
* Assist with circulation policies, such as contacting patrons with overdue materials; forward overdue notices; and record fines.
* Perform inventory; verify proper location of books and other library materials by searching the LLC for misplaced items; retrieve books as requested; and place books and other library materials in their proper location to facilitate use and accountability of library materials.
* Repair books and other library materials to prolong use as needed.
* Perform other related duties as assigned, consistent with the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Full job details at https://bristolcc.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=120144
Demonstrated ability to:
* Work accurately with names, numbers, codes and/or symbols.
* Assemble items of information according to established procedures.
* Communicate effectively in oral expression.
* Deal tactfully with others.
* Establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others, including the ability to work effectively with a diverse student body, faculty, and staff.
* Follow verbal and written instructions.
* Maintain accurate records.
* Reliable transportation in order to travel to and from meetings, trainings, or campus and community locations as required.
* Minimum of an Associate degree.
* Demonstrated experience in an academic or public library setting.
* Basic understanding of Integrated Library Systems and online catalogs.
* Demonstrated familiarity with library online catalog, copy machine, computers, and MS Office software. Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications.
* Ability to speak a language in addition to English
Education Required: Minimum of Associate degree
Salary: AFSCME Unit I, Grade 10, Step 1 $23,933.00 annually. Appointments from outside the bargaining unit begin at Step 1.
Closing Date: February 3, 2020
TO APPLY: Please complete our online application by clicking on the “Apply” button at https://bristolcc.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=120144. The position will be open to applicants for 10 calendar days from the posting date.
REQUIREMENTS TO COMPLETE APPLICATION PROCESS:
1) A completed Bristol Community College Employment Application.
2) A current resume/curriculum vitae.
3) A cover letter that demonstrates how your skills and experience meet the desired and required qualifications of the position (not limited in length).
All candidates must have legal authorization to work in the United States. Bristol Community College is an institution that does not sponsor work authorization.
A pre-employment criminal background check will be conducted for all positions.
The college will independently verify education credentials as provided on the application. For certain positions that require a college degree, the hired candidate must supply official transcripts upon hire. Transcripts must include your name and degrees conferred.
Bristol Community College is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We value diversity and equity, and are committed to creating an all-inclusive community free from discrimination and harassment. Bristol believes that diversity, equity and inclusion among our community members is imperative to the success of our mission to serve our students well, and is the mainstay of our values.