Mansfield Public Library
Part Time Substitute Library Technician
On-call postion. Must be able to work weekdays, weeknights and Saturdays as needed. 9 hours per week
Under the supervision of the Circulation supervisor, performs responsible and varied paraprofessional,
technical, and clerical work in the area of circulation services. Also assists patrons in the use of library
services, equipment, and facilities.
· Attends the circulation desk including charging, discharging, and renewing library materials;
registering and re-registering patrons; receiving and processing reserves and system-level hold requests;
routing interlibrary loan requests; collecting and recording fines and fees.
· Assists patrons in locating library materials and instructs patrons in use of library equipment such
as online catalog, scanner, copier and printer.
· Responds to requests for information pertaining to basic library procedures; receives orders for
reserve books and schedules museum pass reservations, in person and on the telephone; answers the
telephone, transfers calls, takes and relays messages.
· Processes reserve book requests; determines availability, searches shelves, places holds, notifies
patrons and prepares holds for patron pick up; processes network transfer requests on a daily basis for
items requested by other libraries in the Sails Library Network; prints send-item list; searches shelves;
routes items to appropriate library.
· Works with staff and volunteers to shelve, shelf-read, and shift in the stacks.
High School Graduate or the equivalent
Experience working with the public required
Computer experience is a must
Ability to interact courteously and effectively with the public and with other staff
Ability to communicate effectively with others, both orally and in writing
Ability to handle a great many details, some simultaneously, with accuracy
Ability to word process and type with reasonable speed and accuracy
Ability to work as a team member, have excellent communication skills and be self-motivated
Knowledge of library policies and procedures, including automated circulation systems and information
Broad knowledge of literature
· Moderate physical effort is required to perform duties under typical library conditions. Duties
require extensive standing, push loaded book carts, reach with hands and arms, and operate equipment.
· Vision requirements include the ability to read routine documents and use a computer.
Education Required: High School Graduate or the equivalent
Salary: $15.32 per hour. No town benefits.
Closing Date: July 15, 2019
Applications are available at the library. Please send your application, resume, and a cover letter to
Catherine Coyne, Library Director. Send via email to email@example.com or mail to Catherine Coyne,
Library Director, Mansfield Public Library, 255 Hope St., Mansfield, MA 02048.