Norton Public Library
Full Time YOUTH SERVICES LIBRARIAN
The Norton Public Library has an immediate opening for a community-focused,
innovative, adaptable and enthusiastic professional for our small but fast-paced
library. This is an amazing opportunity to manage a fun, lively Youth Services
department in a vibrant community.
The Youth Services Librarian is responsible for providing excellent library service to
children of all ages and their caregivers.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
● Responsible for developing, implementing and publicizing the library’s
programs and services to children from birth to young adult and their
● Selects material for the children’s and teen collections using appropriate
review sources. Classifies and maintains material for the collection.
● Responsible for maintaining an attractive, inviting physical and virtual
● Provides reference and readers’ advisory services to youth, caregivers, and
● Provides assistance with the library’s online catalog and digital services.
● Assists in maintaining an active online presence through our website and
social media accounts.
● Builds and maintains relationships with schools, homeschoolers and other
● Assists at public service desks performing circulation duties and basic
troubleshooting for public library computers.
● Serves as library supervisor when scheduled; responsible for supervising
staff and volunteers, including Jr. Friends of the Library, Summer Reading
volunteers, and Wheaton College work-study students.
Position is 35 hours per week and includes evening hours and a Saturday
This position includes a full benefits package: health insurances, life
insurance, retirement plan, vacation, sick and holiday leave.
● MLS from an ALA accredited program or equivalent combination of skills and
● Experience in a public library strongly preferred
● Strong public service orientation and skills
● Ability to prioritize and focus in a busy environment
● Knowledge of children’s and young adult literature
● Knowledge of library skills and operation
● Ability to function as a member of a team to achieve library goals and
● Demonstrated ability with technology, including library automation, social
media, digital resources
● Comfortable with Excel, Word, Google Office Suite, and publishing programs
at efficient speed
● Comfortable with, or able to learn, website management
● Creativity and ability to plan, develop, execute and supervise programming
● Ability to work effectively with the public, volunteers and other staff; strong
interpersonal and communication skills required
● Excellent oral and written communication and customer service skills
● Knowledge of and adherence to professional standards
● Physically able to bend, stretch and lift materials from floor to overhead
● May be required to move and arrange office furniture in the library, such as
chairs and tables
● Vision and hearing at, or correctable to, normal ranges; work functions
involve close work with books, library materials and patrons
Education Required: MLS from an ALA accredited program or equivalent
Salary: Beginning at $41,000-$44,000
Closing Date: September 21, 2018
Closing Date: Applications submitted by September 21 st will receive
priority; position open until filled
Please send cover letter, resume and the names and contact information for three
Lee Parker, Director, Norton Public Library – firstname.lastname@example.org
Lee Parker, Director, Norton Public Library, 68 East Main Street, Norton,