Keeley Library Student Pages:
Social Studies -
For background on the subject, consult general encyclopedias such as Americana, Britannica, Colliers, World Book, etc. Look for articles on "Massachusetts" and "Fall River." To locate materials in the Keeley Library, see the section on Finding Your Way Around the Library.
For additional information, see the Keeley Library's Local History Materials page.
To locate items in the library catalog, search in iBistro. You may want to limit your search to search only the Keeley Library, instead of all of the SAILS libraries. The following subjects are just some suggestions for your search:
- Borden, Lizzie, 1860-1927
- Durfee High School (Fall River, Mass.)
- Fall River Line
- Fall River (Mass.)
- Fall River (Mass.)--History
- Fall River (Mass.)--Industries
- Fall River (Mass.)--Politics and government
- Fall River (Mass.)--Social life and customs
- Massachusetts--History--Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775.
- Massachusetts--History--Revolution, 1775-1783.
- Massachusetts--History--Civil War, 1861-1865.
- Massachusetts--Politics and government
- Whaling--Massachusetts--New Bedford--History
As members of SAILS, Durfee students and teachers can access journal and newspaper articles as well as online reference books, from the library's computers and from home. Simply go to the online catalog page, access the online catalog, and click on .
Selected Reference Books
- Commonwealth history of Massachusetts
- Encyclopedia of Massachusetts
- Fall River, a pictorial history
- Floating palaces; New England to New York on the old Fall River Line
- The Granite Block
- Historical atlas of Massachusetts
- History of Fall River
- The Lizzie Borden sourcebook
- Massachusetts biographical dictionary
- Massachusetts gazetteer
- The Massachusetts political almanac
- The old Fall River Line
- The Phillips history of Fall River (also available online)
- Proceedings: Lizzie Borden conference
- Up the Flint
- Victorian vistas : Fall River : as viewed through its newspaper accounts
Return to Keeley Library Course Resources
Copyright © 1996-2008 Keeley Library. All rights reserved
Last Updated: December 12, 2008